Skip to Main Content
Genetic structure of Notholithocarpus densiflorus(Fagaceae) from the species to the local scale: A review of our knowledge for conservation and replantingAuthor(s): Richard S Dodd; Alejandro Nettel; Jessica W. Wright; Zara Afzal-Rafii
Source: Madroño. 60(2):130-138
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (304.18 KB)
DescriptionTanoak, Notholithocarpus densiflorus (Hook. & Arn.) Manos, Cannon & S. H. Oh (Fagaceae), is an important component of mixed-evergreen forests and woodlands in coastal California and Oregon, with incursions into the Sierra Nevada and the Klamath Ranges. Sudden Oak Death (SOD) is causing severe dieback and mortality in tanoak and could transform these ecosystems in areas where the pathogen Phytophthora ramorum S. Werres, A.W.A.M. de Cock can become established. Knowledge of genetic diversity within the species is important for both disease resistance screening, conservation and replanting in sites with high mortality. Here we review what has been learned about the genetic structure within tanoak since SOD has caused disease epidemics in the species. We review published work on genetic structure at the species level and provide some re-analyses of these data that show divergence across the geographic range. We also review recently published data on genetic structure at a fine spatial scale that provides some guidelines for the selection of trees as seed sources. Finally, we interpret a range of seed provenancing strategies in the light of our knowledge of tanoak genetic diversity.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDodd, Richard S; Nettel, Alejandro; Wright, Jessica W.; Afzal-Rafii, Zara. 2013. Genetic structure of Notholithocarpus densiflorus(Fagaceae) from the species to the local scale: A review of our knowledge for conservation and replanting. Madroño. 60(2):130-138.
KeywordsConservation, fine-scale genetic structure, genetic divergence, Notholithocarpus densiflorus, replanting, tanoak
- Morphology, physiology, genetics, enigmas, and status of an extremely rare tree: Mutant tanoak
- Potential effects of sudden oak death on the oak woodland bird community of coastal California
- The effects of sudden oak death on foliar moisture content and crown fire potential in tanoak
XML: View XML