Skip to Main Content
Resin duct characteristics in the wood of fire-scarred North American conifersAuthor(s): Estelle Arbellay; Markus Stoffel; Elaine K. Sutherland; Kevin T. Smith; Donald A. Falk
Source: In: Book of Abstracts: Second American Dendrochronology Conference; 2013 May 13-17; Tucson, AZ. Poster Session and Reception-Board 22/81. Tree-Ring Society. p. 10. Online: https://ameridendro.ltrr.arizona.edu/conferenceDisplay.py/abstractBook?confId=0
Publication Series: Abstract
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (114.95 KB)
DescriptionTraumatic resin ducts form in xylem and phloem tissue of conifers in response to abiotic wounding, fungal invasion, and insect attack. Little is known about resin duct characteristics in the wood of fire-scarred trees. The aim of this study is to quantify changes in traits of both axial and radial resin ducts, along with those of associated epithelial cells and fusiform rays, in 2 individuals each of Larix occidentalis and Pseudotsuga menziesii. Transverse and tangential microsections were cut from samples for light microscopy. Using image analysis, anatomical measurements of cells are being performed three-dimensionally: at 4 heights along the tree axis, within 4 cm from the wound margin and in different rings, including 2 rings from the wound xylem. The forthcoming results will provide new insights into one of the most important defense mechanisms of trees.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationArbellay, Estelle; Stoffel, Markus; Sutherland, Elaine K.; Smith, Kevin T.; Falk, Donald A. 2013. Resin duct characteristics in the wood of fire-scarred North American conifers. In: Book of Abstracts: Second American Dendrochronology Conference; 2013 May 13-17; Tucson, AZ. Poster Session and Reception-Board 22/81. Tree-Ring Society. p. 10. Online: https://ameridendro.ltrr.arizona.edu/conferenceDisplay.py/abstractBook?confId=0
Keywordsresin, fire-scarred trees, conifers, Larix occidentalis, Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Fire-induced wounding elicits changes in the wood anatomy of North American conifers
- Resin duct size and density as ecophysiological traits in fire scars of Pseudotsuga menziesii and Larix occidentalis
- Macroanatomy of compartmentalization in fire scars of three western conifers
XML: View XML