Skip to Main Content
Monitoring the effects of air-quality on forests: An overview of the Sierra Ancha Experimental Forest ICP-Level II SiteAuthor(s): Peter E. Koestner; Karen A. Koestner; Daniel G. Neary
Source: Hydrology and Water Resources in Arizona and the Southwest. 42: 21-26.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (655.21 KB)
DescriptionThe Sierra Ancha International Cooperative Program on Assessment and Monitoring of Air Pollution Effects on Forests study site or (SAEF-ICP II) is part of an international network of cooperative forest monitoring sites spread throughout Europe and the United States. The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe established the ICP II network in 1985 to monitor long-term effects of transboundary air pollution. The Sierra Ancha Experimental Forest was chosen to be a part the U.S.'s network because it is the southernmost Experimental Forest in the contiguous U.S., and because it is downwind from a major metropolitan area, Phoenix, Arizona. The site monitoring includes forest overstory growth, crown condition, foliar chemistry, understory vegetation, litterfall, soil chemistry meteorology, ozone, and deposition. This paper provides an overview of the ICP forest network, and discusses the research currently underway at the Sierra Ancha ICP II site. An overview of the challenges encountered while implementing ICP Level II monitoring will also be included.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKoestner, Peter E.; Koestner, Karen A.; Neary, Daniel G. 2012. Monitoring the effects of air-quality on forests: An overview of the Sierra Ancha Experimental Forest ICP-Level II Site. Hydrology and Water Resources in Arizona and the Southwest. 42: 21-26.
KeywordsSierra Ancha International Cooperative Program on Assessment and Monitoring of Air Pollution Effects on Forests study site or (SAEF-ICP II), experimental forest, ICP forest network
- International co-operative program on assessment and monitoring of air pollution effects on forests: The Sierra Ancha Experimental Forest, Arizona
- FOCUS: A pilot study for national-scale critical loads development in the United States
- Air pollution and climate change effects on health of the Ukrainian forests: monitoring and evalution
XML: View XML