Skip to Main Content
The role of non timber forest products: a case study of gatherers in the eastern United StatesAuthor(s): Siri Doble; Marla Emery
Source: In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 53-57
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (365.35 KB)
DescriptionNon Timber Forest Products (NTFPs) play a key role in the lives and livelihoods of rural residents in or near forested areas. Consequently, organizations concerned with rural development have begun to look toward NTFPs as an opportunity for rural economic development. Concerned with the potential implications for the social and ecological structures that support NTFP harvesting, this work in progress plans to explore the culture and practices of gatherers. Using qualitative research methods including in-depth ethnographic interviews, we will document NTFP uses and users in the eastern United States. Individual case studies will give gatherers and micro-enterprise owners a voice to reveal their experience with and perspective on gathering. Natural resource managers and rural developers must have a clear understanding of the role NTFPs play in the lives and livelihoods of gatherers before they develop management plans.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDoble, Siri; Emery, Marla. 2001. The role of non timber forest products: a case study of gatherers in the eastern United States. In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 53-57
- Non-timber forest products and livelihoods in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Special forest products in context: gatherers and gathering in the Eastern United States
- Non-timber forest products in sustainable forest management
XML: View XML