Skip to Main Content
Applications of urban tree canopy assessment and prioritization tools: supporting collaborative decision making to achieve urban sustainability goalsAuthor(s): Dexter H. Locke; J. Morgan Grove; Michael Galvin; Jarlath P.M. ONeil-Dunne; Charles Murphy
Source: Cities and the Environment. 6(1): article 7.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.49 MB)
DescriptionUrban Tree Canopy (UTC) Prioritizations can be both a set of geographic analysis tools and a planning process for collaborative decision-making. In this paper, we describe how UTC Prioritizations can be used as a planning process to provide decision support to multiple government agencies, civic groups and private businesses to aid in reaching a canopy target. Linkages to broader City-scale sustainability plans are explored. This article represents an extension and update to the UTC Canopy Goal Setting Guide by Raciti et al (2006). We conclude with recommendations for a market-like analysis of neighborhoods to better match planting initiatives to particular neighborhoods’ motivations, capacities and interests in order to improve the adoption of improved urban forestry practices.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLocke, Dexter H.; Grove, J. Morgan; Galvin, Michael; ONeil-Dunne, Jarlath P.M.; Murphy, Charles. 2013. Applications of urban tree canopy assessment and prioritization tools: supporting collaborative decision making to achieve urban sustainability goals. Cities and the Environment. 6(1): article 7.
KeywordsUrban Forestry, UTC, urban tree canopy, geographic information systems, GIS, trees, planning, sustainability
- Urban tree canopy assessment: A community’s path to understanding and managing the urban forest
- Prioritizing preferable locations for increasing urban tree canopy in New York City
- Linking Urban Tree Cover Change and Local History in a Post-Industrial City
XML: View XML