Skip to Main Content
Section summary: Integration of monitoring techniquesAuthor(s): Yoshiyuki Kiyono; Rick Turner
Source: In: Mortenson, Leif A.; Halperin, James J.; Manley, Patricia N.; Turner, Rich L., eds. Proceedings of the international workshop on monitoring forest degradation in Southeast Asia. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-246. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 35-37
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (185.25 KB)
DescriptionTechniques for monitoring deforestation and associated changes to forest carbon stocks are widespread and well published. In contrast, techniques for monitoring forest degradation are relatively untested in developing countries despite their inclusion in UNFCCC REDD+ negotiations. In the Mekong countries, forest degradation may contribute a substantial portion of the total carbon losses from forests. There is a critical need to assess approaches for monitoring forest degradation, particularly at the subnational level. One potential obstacle in assessing monitoring approaches for the region is the lack of consensus on the definition of forest degradation. In addition to a common definition, management objectives must be determined, i.e. what desired threshold of degradation needs to be detected. Monitoring approaches should recognize common themes among countries regarding drivers of degradation, while taking into account the unique circumstances of each country, especially in regard to capacity for operationalizing any recommended protocols.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKiyono, Yoshiyuki; Turner, Rick. 2013. Section summary: Integration of monitoring techniques. In: Mortenson, Leif A.; Halperin, James J.; Manley, Patricia N.; Turner, Rich L., eds. Proceedings of the international workshop on monitoring forest degradation in Southeast Asia. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-246. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 35-37.
Keywordsforest degradation monitoring, Southeast Asia, climate change, carbon
- Forest degradation sub-national assessments: Monitoring options for Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam
- Introduction (PSW-GTR-246)
- Definitions in the context of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
XML: View XML