Skip to Main Content
Estimating forestland area change from inventory dataAuthor(s): Paul Van Deusen; Francis Roesch; Thomas Wigley
Source: Journal of Forestry 111(2):126–131
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (83.11 KB)
DescriptionSimple methods for estimating the proportion of land changing from forest to nonforest are developed. Variance estimators are derived to facilitate significance tests. A power analysis indicates that 400 inventory plots are required to reliably detect small changes in net or gross forest loss. This is an important result because forest certification programs may require additional precautions when wood from areas where forestland area loss is occurring is harvested or purchased. Net and gross forest area loss must be clearly differentiated to avoid confusion. Estimates of gross forest cover loss from satellite data should not be equated with net forest area loss, which can be better determined from remeasured forest inventory plots. Simultaneous tests of net and gross forest area loss should use multiple comparison procedures to ensure that overall error rates are correct. Examples of applications demonstrate how to properly perform these tests. A simulated example is used to verify that the variance estimators are reliable. An application to USDA Forest Service inventory data indicates that neither net nor gross forest loss at the state level was statistically significant for states that had sufficient remeasured plot data publicly available when this analysis was done.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVan Deusen, Paul C.; Roesch, Francis A.; Wigley, T. Bently. 2013. Estimating forestland area change from inventory data. Journal of Forestry 111(2):126–131.
Keywordsforest conservation, Forest Inventory and Analysis data, land use change, gross forest cover loss
- Estimating forest conversion rates with annual forest inventory data
- Estimating fine-scale land use change dynamics using an expedient photointerpretation-based method
- Basal Area Growth Estimators for Survivor Component: A Quality Control Application
XML: View XML