Skip to Main Content
Statistical properties of alternative national forest inventory area estimatorsAuthor(s): Francis Roesch; John Coulston; Andrew D. Hill
Source: Forest Science 58(6):559–566
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (86.84 KB)
DescriptionThe statistical properties of potential estimators of forest area for the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program are presented and discussed. The current FIA area estimator is compared and contrasted with a weighted mean estimator and an estimator based on the Polya posterior, in the presence of nonresponse. Estimator optimality is evaluated both theoretically and via simulation under bias and mean squared error criteria.The results indicate that, under realistic conditions, the current FIA area estimator can sometimes result in substantial bias and have a higher mean squared error than both of the alternative estimators. This finding is of special interest because the same factor that contributes to this increased bias and variance applies to all area-based FIA estimates. The weighted mean and Polyha posterior estimators gave similar results for estimating the total area of a domain. It is concluded that the main advantage of the latter approach is that many other statistics are obtainable because the entire population distribution is estimated from the same sampling effort. The cost of this advantage for the Polya posterior approach is that a single result requires many more computer operations, a cost that has become virtually ignorable over the past decade.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, F.A.; Coulston, J.W.; Hill, A.D. 2012. Statistical properties of alternative national forest inventory area estimators. Forest Science 58(6):559–566.
KeywordsNonresponse, Polya posterior.
- The effects of imperfect reference data on remote sensing-assisted estimators of land cover class proportions
- Comparison of estimators for rolling samples using Forest Inventory and Analysis data
- Statistical inference for remote sensing-based estimates of net deforestation
XML: View XML