Skip to Main Content
Landsat TM Classifications For SAFIS Using FIA Field PlotsAuthor(s): William H. Cooke; Andrew J. Hartsell
Source: In: Reams, Gregory A.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. 2001. Proceedings of the second annual Forest Inventory and Analysis symposium; 2000 October 17-18; Salt Lake City, UT. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-47. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 15-18
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (529 KB)
DescriptionWall-to-wall Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) classification efforts in Georgia require field validation. We developed a new crown modeling procedure based on Forest Health Monitoring (FHM) data to test Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data. These models simulate the proportion of tree crowns that reflect light on a FIA subplot basis. We averaged subplot crown proportions and compared them to Landsat TM classifications for validation. Resolution differences between field data and Landsat TM data make comparisons challenging. We recorded positive correlations between the two types of data for four of the five FIA plots tested. We attribute differences on the fifth plot to misregistration of the two data sources or misclassification of the TM imagery.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCooke, William H., III; Hartsell, Andrew J. 2001. Landsat TM Classifications For SAFIS Using FIA Field Plots. In: Reams, Gregory A.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. 2001. Proceedings of the second annual Forest Inventory and Analysis symposium; 2000 October 17-18; Salt Lake City, UT. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-47. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 15-18
- Wall-to-wall Landsat TM classifications for Georgia in support of SAFIS using FIA plots for training and verification
- Accuracy assessment of biomass and forested area classification from modis, landstat-tm satellite imagery and forest inventory plot data
- Forest/non-forest stratification in Georgia with Landsat Thematic Mapper data
XML: View XML