A technical guide for monitoring wildlife habitatAuthor(s): M.M. Rowland; C.D. Vojta
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-89. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 400 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
Download Publication (6.94 MB)
Related Research Highlights
National Technical Guide Provides a Foundation for Monitoring Wildlife Habitat on National Forests
DescriptionInformation about status and trend of wildlife habitat is important for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service to accomplish its mission and meet its legal requirements. As the steward of 193 million acres (ac) of Federal land, the Forest Service needs to evaluate the status of wildlife habitat and how it compares with desired conditions. Habitat monitoring programs provide information to meet the needs of the agency while fostering use of standardized, integrated approaches to produce robust knowledge. This technical guide provides current, scientifically credible, and practical protocols for the inventory and monitoring of terrestrial wildlife habitat. Protocols include data standards, data-collection methods, and methods for detecting and monitoring changes over time (Powell 2000). To our knowledge, this document is the first comprehensive guide to monitoring wildlife habitats. It serves a unique role by providing protocols specifically tailored to habitat monitoring, which is especially pertinent for the Forest Service, given its role in managing landscapes that support a wide diversity of taxa across the major biomes of North America.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRowland, M.M.; Vojta, C.D.; tech. eds. 2013. A technical guide for monitoring wildlife habitat. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-89. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 400 p.
- Chapter 1. Overview
- Watching what widlife want and need
- Northern goshawk inventory and monitoring technical guide
XML: View XML