Skip to Main Content
Estimation of merchantable bole volume and biomass above sawlog top in the National Forest inventory of the United StatesAuthor(s): Grant M. Domke; Christopher M. Oswalt; Christopher W. Woodall; Jeffery A. Turner
Source: Journal of Forestry. 111(6): 383-387.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (148.43 KB)
DescriptionEmerging markets for small-diameter roundwood along with a renewed interest in forest biomass for energy have created a need for estimates of merchantable biomass above the minimum sawlog top diameter for timber species in the national forest inventory of the United States. The Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service recently adopted the component ratio method for estimation of aboveground live tree component biomass, which incorporates regionally specific volume models by species and species group. The merchantable bole component is the biomass of sound wood from a 1.0-ft stump height to a minimum 4.0-in. top diameter. Minimum sawlog top diameters for softwoods and hardwoods in the FIA program are substantially larger than the merchantable bole top diameter, leaving additional bole biomass potentially available for utilization. This article describes a method for estimating merchantable bole biomass for the sawlog component and the component above the minimum sawlog top diameter for timber species in the FIA program.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDomke, Grant M.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Turner, Jeffery A. 2013. Estimation of merchantable bole volume and biomass above sawlog top in the National Forest inventory of the United States. Journal of Forestry. 111(6): 383-387.
Keywordsbioenergy, small-diameter roundwood, sawtimber, utilization, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA), biomass, volume
- Investigation into calculating tree biomass and carbon in the FIADB using a biomass expansion factor approach
- Biomass measurement and modeling challenges for hardwood species in the northern region
- Modifying Taper-Derived Merchantable Height Estimates to Account for Tree Characteristics
XML: View XML