Skip to Main Content
Assessing Regeneration Adequacy In Pennsylvania's Forests: A Pilot StudyAuthor(s): William H. McWilliams; Susan L. King; Charles T. Scott
Source: In: Reams, Gregory A.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. 2001. Proceedings of the second annual Forest Inventory and Analysis symposium; 2000 October 17-18; Salt Lake City, UT. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-47. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 119-122
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (425 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station (NE), Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) unit began collecting forest inventory data on an annual basis in Pennsylvania starting this past field season. The forestry community of Pennsylvania has identified forest regeneration as a primary research issue for the inventory to address. New techniques for measuring and quantifying regeneration are needed because existing NE-FIA protocols and national FIA protocols will not provide the level of detail required. A pilot study is being conducted to determine a cost efficient method for measuring tree seedlings, shrubs, and competing vegetation. The study is expected to result in a recommended approach for full implementation next field season.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; King, Susan L.; Scott, Charles T. 2001. Assessing Regeneration Adequacy In Pennsylvania''s Forests: A Pilot Study. In: Reams, Gregory A.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. 2001. Proceedings of the second annual Forest Inventory and Analysis symposium; 2000 October 17-18; Salt Lake City, UT. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-47. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 119-122
- Measuring Tree Seedlings and Associated Understory Vegetation in Pennsylvania's Forests
- Sampling forest regeneration across northern U.S. forests: filling a void in regeneration model input
- Indicators of regenerative capacity for eastern hardwood forests
XML: View XML