Skip to Main Content
Markets and market forces for lumberAuthor(s): Matt Bumgardner; Steven Johnson; William Luppold; Frances Maplesden; Ed. Pepke
Source: In: Hansen, E.; Panwar, R.; Vlosky, R., eds. The global forest sector: changes, practices and prospects. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press: 41-76.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.51 MB)
DescriptionAlthough lumber is ubiquitous on the international stage, not all lumber is similar or interchangeable in properties, applications, and in the production of potential downstream value-added or secondary wood products. As such, this chapter is divided into the three broadest generally recognized categories of lumber. Section 3.1 focuses on softwood lumber that is mainly used for building construction but also a multitude of other uses. Section 3.2 focuses on temperate hardwood lumber used in products ranging from industrial pallets to the finest custom furniture. Section 3.3 focuses on tropical hardwood lumber. Tropical lumber and other wood products have evolved on a different timeline than softwood or temperate hardwood products. Many tropical wood species are among the most valuable in the world while at the same time are often facing extinction with international efforts to protect them. The three parts of this chapter generally follow a uniform organization with an introduction, a discussion of global production and consumption, an analysis of international trade, and perspectives on influences on the sector and future markets.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBumgardner, Matt; Johnson, Steven; Luppold, William; Maplesden, Frances; Pepke, Ed. 2014. Markets and market forces for lumber. In: Hansen, E.; Panwar, R.; Vlosky, R., eds. The global forest sector: changes, practices and prospects. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press: 41-76.
- The Market for U.S. Hardwoods in the United Kingdom: Market Characteristics
- From Preconceived Perceptions to Purchasing Realities, Species Names Carry Powerful Marketing Images (an editorial)
- U.S. Forest Products Annual Market Review and Prospects, 2011-2015
XML: View XML