Skip to Main Content
Approaches to monitoring changes in carbon stocks for REDD+Author(s): Richard Birdsey; Gregorio Angeles-Perez; Werner A Kurz; Andrew Lister; Marcela Olguin; Yude Pan; Craig Wayson; Barry Wilson; Kristofer Johnson
Source: Carbon Management. 4(5): 519-537.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (2.76 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Assessment of North American Forest Carbon Dynamics: Tools for Monitoring, Reporting, and Projecting
DescriptionReducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation plus improving forest-management (REDD+) is a mechanism to facilitate tropical countries' participation in climate change mitigation. In this review we focus on the current state of monitoring systems to support implementing REDD+. The main elements of current monitoring systems - Landsat satellites and traditional forest inventories - will continue to be the backbone of many forest-monitoring systems around the world, but new remote-sensing and analytical approaches are addressing monitoring problems specific to the tropics and implementing REDD+. There is increasing recognition of the utility of combining remote sensing with field data using models that integrate information from many sources, which will continue to evolve as new sensors are deployed and as the availability of field data increases.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirdsey, Richard; Angeles-Perez, Gregorio; Kurz, Werner A; Lister, Andrew; Olguin, Marcela; Pan, Yude; Wayson, Craig; Wilson, Barry; Johnson, Kristofer. 2013. Approaches to monitoring changes in carbon stocks for REDD+. Carbon Management. 4(5): 519-537.
- Mapping deforestation and forest degradation using Landsat time series: a case of Sumatra—Indonesia
- Avoiding treatment bias of REDD+ monitoring by sampling with partial replacement
- Implications of sampling design and sample size for national carbon accounting systems
XML: View XML