Skip to Main Content
Kansas' Forests 2010Author(s): W. Keith Moser; Mark H. Hansen; Robert L. Atchison; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Grant Domke; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Andrew Lister; Patrick D. Miles; Mark D. Nelson; Ronald J. Piva; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-85. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 63 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (17.69 MB)
DescriptionThe second completed annual inventory of Kansas' forests reports 2.4 million acres of forest land, roughly 5 percent of the total land area in the State. Softwood forests account for 4.4 percent of the total timberland area. Oak/hickory forest types make up 55 percent of the total hardwood forest land area. Elm/ash/cottonwood accounts for more than 32 percent of the timberland area. Kansas' forests have continued to increase in volume. In 2010, net volume of growing stock on timberland was an estimated 1.45 billion cubic feet compared with 0.5 billion cubic feet in 1965. Live-tree biomass on forest land in Kansas amounted to 82.5 million dry tons in 2010. More than 6 percent was in trees less than 5 inches in diameter. About 94 percent of Kansas’ forest land is held by private landowners.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H.; Atchison, Robert L.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Domke, Grant; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lister, Andrew; Miles, Patrick D.; Nelson, Mark D.; Piva, Ronald J.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2013. Kansas’ Forests 2010. Resour. Bull. NRS-85. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 63 p.
Keywordsforest area, forest health, completed annual inventory
XML: View XML