Skip to Main Content
Logging utilization in Idaho: Current and past trendsAuthor(s): Eric A. Simmons; Todd A. Morgan; Erik C. Berg; Stanley J. Zarnoch; Steven W. Hayes; Mike T. Thompson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-318. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (1.77 MB)
DescriptionA study of commercial timber-harvesting activities in Idaho was conducted during 2008 and 2011 to characterize current tree utilization, logging operations, and changes from previous Idaho logging utilization studies. A two-stage simple random sampling design was used to select sites and felled trees for measurement within active logging sites. Thirty-three logging sites and 815 felled trees were measured. Results of the 2008/2011 study indicated that harvesting efforts removed 1,011 cubic feet (cf) of timber volume from growing stock for every 1,000 cubic feet (mcf) delivered to the mill, created 24 cf of growing-stock logging residue, and that 13 cf of non-growing-stock (stump wood and tops above 4 inches diameter outside bark (dob)) were delivered to the mill. This compared to 1,086 cf of growing-stock removals that created 95 cf of growing-stock logging residue and utilized 9 cf of non-growing-stock per mill-delivered mcf in a 1990 study. This study confirmed two long-term timber harvesting trends in Idaho: declining diameter at breast height (dbh) of harvested timber, and declining amounts of logging residue generated per unit of mill-delivered volume.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSimmons, Eric A.; Morgan, Todd A.; Berg, Erik C.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Hayes, Steven W.; Thompson, Mike T. 2014. Logging utilization in Idaho: Current and past trends. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-318. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Keywordsgrowing-stock removals, logging residue, removals factors, timber harvest
- Logging utilization in Oregon and Washington, 2011–2015
- Logging utilization in Montana, 2011-2016
- Predicting logging residue volumes in the Pacific Northwest
XML: View XML