Skip to Main Content
Vermont stumpage price trends revisited: with comparisons to New HampshireAuthor(s): Paul E. Sendak; Thom J. McEvoy
Source: Forest Products Journal. 63(7-8): 238-246.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (230.55 KB)
DescriptionOur objective was to describe the trends of Vermont stumpage prices for major sawtimber species and products over the approximately last quarter century and propose a likely explanation of changes that we observed. Annual percentage rates of change (APR) were estimated for 10 forest products in Vermont from the third quarter of 1981 (1981Q3) to the first quarter of 2007 (2007Q1) when the price series was discontinued. In addition, we tested for changes in the percentage rate within the period. We found differences in the trend of APR between hardwood sawtimber and softwood sawtimber. With one exception, price trends differed significantly between 1981Q3 to 1992Q2 and 1992Q3 to 2007Q1 for inflation-adjusted (real) hardwood sawtimber prices. There were no differences in price trends for any of the softwood sawtimber species between the two periods. Real price trends for pulpwood and firewood were similar to those for hardwood sawtimber. We also examined stumpage price trends for selected species in adjacent New Hampshire from 1985Q1 to 2011Q1. Stumpage price trends for like species and proximate time periods in Vermont and New Hampshire were similar, but no statistical tests were done. The direction of trend (positive or negative) was the same for sugar maple, red oak, yellow birch, and white pine, and the magnitude of APR was similar for sugar maple, yellow birch, and white pine.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSendak, Paul E.; McEvoy, Thom J. 2013. Vermont stumpage price trends revisited: with comparisons to New Hampshire. Forest Products Journal. 63(7-8): 238-246.
- Proceedings of the ninth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference, August 22-23, 1969.
- Wisconsin's forests, 2004
- Predicted Cubic-foot Yields of Lumber, Sawdust, and Sawmill Residue from the Sawtimber Portions of Hardwood Trees
XML: View XML