Skip to Main Content
The influence of fipronil on Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) feeding beyond treated plotsAuthor(s): Thomas Shelton
Source: Journal of Economic Entomology 106(5): 2160-2166
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (1.15 MB)
DescriptionA small-plot field trial was conducted to examine the area of influence of fipronil at incremental distances away from treated plots on the Harrison Experimental Forest near Saucier, MS. Small treated (water and fipronil) plots were surrounded by untreated wooden boards in an eight-point radial pattern, and examined for evidence of termite feeding every 60 d for 1 yr after treatment. Circular areas of 0, 0.28, 1.13, 2.55, 4.52, 7.07, and 10.18 m-squared around the treated plots were installed to evaluate feeding damage by termites on the boards. The relationship between feeding damage to boards and area for each time interval was examined by using an exponential increase model. For both treatments and controls in nearly all periods examined, feeding was suppressed in the boards nearest to the treated plots, but increased exponentially as the area increased. Beginning 4 mo. after treatment, treatment plots had lower proportions of boards with termite feeding evidence than control plots. Reduction in feeding was the only influence of fipronil observed beyond the treated plots.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelton, Thomas G. 2013. The influence of fipronil on Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) feeding beyond treated plots. 2013. Journal of Economic Entomology 106(5): 2160-2166.
Keywordsfipronil, foraging behavior, Reticulitermes, termite, termiticide
- Effects of monitor examination intervals on resource affinity by Reticulitermes spp. (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
- Tunneling and activity of reticulitermes flavipes (isoptera: rhinotermitidae) exposed to low concentrations of nonrepellent termiticides
- Toxicity of Fipronil in Mississippi Soil Types Against Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
XML: View XML