Skip to Main Content
Color and surface chemistry changes of extracted wood flour after heating at 120 °CAuthor(s): Yao Chen; Mandla A. Tshabalala; Jianmin Gao; Nicole M. Stark
Source: Wood Sci Technol Volume, 48 2014; pp. 137-150.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (560.74 KB)
DescriptionTo investigate the effect of heat on color and surface chemistry of wood flour (WF), unextracted, extracted and delignified samples of commercial WF were heated at 120 °C for 24 h and analyzed by colorimetry, diffuse reflectance visible (DRV), attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform infrared (ATR-FTIR) and Fourier transform Raman (FT-Raman) spectroscopies. Unextracted samples showed a slight increase in CIEL *a*b* color coordinates, a* and b*. Compared with unextracted samples, color changes of the extracted samples varied with composition of the extraction solvents with generally smaller increases in a* and larger decreases in b* values. Delignified samples were marked by even larger increases in both a* and b* values. The color changes could be explained by analysis of the respective DRV, FTIR and FT-Raman spectra of the samples before and after heating. Heating of the extracted WF at 120 °C resulted in a red shift of the absorption at 430 nm and increase in absorption in the violet-blue spectral region of visible light. Delignified samples showed even more pronounced absorption in this spectral region after heating.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Yao; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Gao, Jianmin; Stark, Nicole M.; Fan Yongming. 2013. Color and surface chemistry changes of extracted wood flour after heating at 120 °C. Wood Sci Technol Volume, 48 2014; pp. 137-150.
Keywordswood flour, heat treatment, delignification, color, surface chemistry
- Color and Surface Chemistry Changes of Pine Wood Flour after Extraction and Delignification
- Spectroscopic analysis of the role of extractives on heat-induced discoloration of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)
- Weathering characteristics of wood plastic composites reinforced with extracted or delignified wood flour
XML: View XML