Skip to Main Content
State and change of Dryland East Asia (DEA)Author(s): Jiquan Chen; Ranjeet John; Guanghua Qiao; Ochirbat Batkhishig; Wenping Yuan; Yaoqi Zhang; Changliang Shao; Zutao Ouyang; Linghao Li; Ke Guo; Ge Sun
Source: In: Chen, Jiquan; Wan, Shiqiang; Henebry, Geoffrey; Qi, Jiaguo; Gutman, Garik; Sun, Ge; Kappas, Martin, eds. 2013. Dryland East Asia: Land Dynamics amid Social and Climate Change. HEP & DeGruyter. 3-22.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (7.58 MB)
DescriptionDry land East Asia (DEA) refers to a region with 4.81 million square kilometers (km²) and includes Mongolia and four provinces/regions in Northern China (hereafter called "administrative units" ): Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Ningxia, and Xinjiang. This introduction chapter provides an overview of the DEA region from three perspectives: 1) geography, demography, and economics, 2) climate and land use changes, and 3) ecosystem production and evapotranspiration. Development of a sound adaptation plan, therefore, is becoming a necessity for the sustainable future of a region such as DEA. We emphasize t he spatial and temporal variations of the major variables associated with each of the three topic areas. Finally, we discuss the scientific and societal challenges for developing adaptation plans based on the concept of coupled natural and human (CNH) systems.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Jiquan; John, Ranjeet; Qiao, Guanghua; Batkhishig, Ochirbat; Yuan, Wenping; Zhang, Yaoqi; Shao, Changliang; Ouyang, Zutao; Li, Linghao; Guo, Ke; Sun, Ge. 2013. State and change of Dryland East Asia (DEA). In: Chen, Jiquan; Wan, Shiqiang; Henebry, Geoffrey; Qi, Jiaguo; Gutman, Garik; Sun, Ge; Kappas, Martin, eds. 2013. Dryland East Asia: Land Dynamics amid Social and Climate Change. HEP & DeGruyter. 3-22.
- Impacts of Global Change on Water Resources in Dryland East Asia
- Forest and rangeland ecosystem condition indicators: identifying national areas of opportunity using data development analysis
- Reconstructing fire history in central Mongolia from tree-rings
XML: View XML