Skip to Main Content
De novo genome assembly of the fungal plant pathogen Pyrenophora semeniperdaAuthor(s): Marcus M. Soliai; Susan E. Meyer; Joshua A. Udall; David E. Elzinga; Russell A. Hermansen; Paul M. Bodily; Aaron A. Hart; Craig E. Coleman
Source: PLoS ONE. 9(1): e87045.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (861.9 KB)
DescriptionPyrenophora semeniperda (anamorph Drechslera campulata) is a necrotrophic fungal seed pathogen that has a wide host range within the Poaceae. One of its hosts is cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum), a species exotic to the United States that has invaded natural ecosystems of the Intermountain West. As a natural pathogen of cheatgrass, P. semeniperda has potential as a biocontrol agent due to its effectiveness at killing seeds within the seed bank; however, few genetic resources exist for the fungus. Here, the genome of P. semeniperda isolate assembled from sequence reads of 454 pyrosequencing is presented. The total assembly is 32.5 Mb and includes 11,453 gene models encoding putative proteins larger than 24 amino acids. The models represent a variety of putative genes that are involved in pathogenic pathways typically found in necrotrophic fungi. In addition, extensive rearrangements, including inter- and intrachromosomal rearrangements, were found when the P. semeniperda genome was compared to P. triticirepentis, a related fungal species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSoliai, Marcus M.; Meyer, Susan E.; Udall, Joshua A.; Elzinga, David E.; Hermansen, Russell A.; Bodily, Paul M.; Hart, Aaron A.; Coleman, Craig E. 2014. De novo genome assembly of the fungal plant pathogen Pyrenophora semeniperda. PLoS ONE. 9(1): e87045.
KeywordsPyrenophora semeniperda, fungal seed pathogen, cheatgrass, Bromus tectorum
- Effect of fire on a seed bank pathogen and on seeds of its host Bromus tectorum
- Treating downy brome with herbicide and seeding with native shrubs
- Pyrenophoric acids B and C, two new phytotoxic sesquiterpenoids produced by Pyrenophora semeniperda
XML: View XML