Skip to Main Content
History of the Penobscot Experimental Forest, 1950-2010Author(s): Laura S. Kenefic; John C. Brissette
Source: In: Kenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C., comps. Penobscot Experimental Forest: 60 years of research and demonstration in Maine, 1950-2010. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-123. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-20.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (7.04 MB)
DescriptionThough the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service has been studying the forests of the northeastern United States since the late 1800s, long-term studies were not common until experimental forests were introduced in the 20th century. These forests were established for long-term experimentation, and research questions were defined by local forest management needs. The Penobscot Experimental Forest (PEF) in east-central Maine is an example of the success and evolution of the experimental forest model. The PEF was purchased by forest industry for research by the Forest Service, and later donated to the University of Maine Foundation. Throughout its history, the PEF has been defined by successful collaboration in research. Today, the PEF is known for world-class research on northern conifer silviculture and ecology, and work continues to evolve to address research questions beyond the scope envisioned by the original proponents of the site.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C. 2014. History of the Penobscot Experimental Forest, 1950-2010. In: Kenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C., comps. Penobscot Experimental Forest: 60 years of research and demonstration in Maine, 1950-2010. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-123. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-20.
Keywordsnorthern conifers, silviculture, precommercial thinning, spruce budworm, Compartment Study, Marinus Westveld, Thomas McLintock, Maine
- Penobscot Experimental Forest: 60 years of research and demonstration in Maine, 1950-2010
- Penobscot Experimental Forest: resources, administration, and mission
- Turning data into knowledge for over 50 years: USDA Forest Service research on the Penobscot Experimental Forest
XML: View XML