Skip to Main Content
Overview of best management practices related to forest roads: The southern statesAuthor(s): Johnny M. Grace
Source: ASAE Meeting Paper No. 025013. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASAE.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (204 KB)
DescriptionForest roads are vital in the implementation of most all forest management activities. However, the potential of forest roads to have accelerated erosion losses and degrade water quality through stream sedimentation has long been recognized throughout the U.S. Forest roads have the potential to cause serious environmental impacts (possibly consequences) without effective scientifically based best management practices (BMPs). BMP programs for 13 Southern States were reviewed to determine the nature and extent of BMPs related to forest roads. State BMPs ranged from aggressive regulatory performance-based standards to passive voluntary prescription-based standards. Most states in the review have voluntary BMP guidelines promoting sound land stewardship. Kentucky's BMP program, regulatory in nature, is the most aggressive BMP program supported by a Forest Conservation Act enacted in 1998. Aside from differences in legislation supporting BMPs, forest road BMPs were consistent throughout the South.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrace, Johnny M., III. 2002. Overview of best management practices related to forest roads: The southern states. ASAE Meeting Paper No. 025013. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASAE.
KeywordsForest Operations, Best Management Practices, Review, Water Quality, Erosion
- Effectiveness of best management practices that have application to forest roads: a literature synthesis
- Protecting soil and water in forest road management
- Sediment plume development from forest roads: How are they related to filter strip recommendations
XML: View XML