Skip to Main Content
An alternative method for determining particle-size distribution of forest road aggregate and soil with large-sized particlesAuthor(s): Hakjun Rhee; Randy B. Foltz; James L. Fridley; Finn Krogstad; Deborah S. Page-Dumroese
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 44. 101-105.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (376.49 KB)
DescriptionMeasurement of particle-size distribution (PSD) of soil with large-sized particles (e.g., 25.4 mm diameter) requires a large sample and numerous particle-size analyses (PSAs). A new method is needed that would reduce time, effort, and cost for PSAs of the soil and aggregate material with large-sized particles. We evaluated a nested method for sampling and PSA by comparing it with the methods that follow the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) standard T88-00 and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard D422-63. Using 33 forest road aggregate samples from the Clearwater National Forest in northern Idaho, the nested method required much less laboratory time and effort and resulted in similar PSA values, except for the 0.149 mm (No. 100) sieve, where the smallest particle-size fraction (PSF) values (1.30% and 1.39%) were observed. The nested method shows great potential for determining PSDs of the soil and aggregate material with large-sized particles and should be tested on other forest soils and road aggregates. The nested sampling and analysis method allows for the same number of samples to be collected but requires less laboratory time, making it more efficient and economical for testing the soil and aggregate material with large-sized particles such as forest road aggregate.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRhee, Hakjun; Foltz, Randy B.; Fridley, James L.; Krogstad, Finn; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2014. An alternative method for determining particle-size distribution of forest road aggregate and soil with large-sized particles. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 44. 101-105.
Keywordsgrain-size distribution, gravel road, soil grading, soil sampling, unpaved road
- Traffic-induced changes and processes in forest road aggregate particle-size distributions
- Sampling surface and subsurface particle-size distributions in wadable gravel-and cobble-bed streams for analyses in sediment transport, hydraulics, and streambed monitoring
- 15N-CPMAS nuclear magnetic resonace spectroscopy and biological stability of soil organic nitrogen in whole soil and particle-size fractions
XML: View XML