Skip to Main Content
Illinois' Forests 2010Author(s): Susan J. Crocker; Mark D. Nelson; Charles J. Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Grant M. Domke; Mark H. Hansen; Mark A. Hatfield; Tonya W. Lister; Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Ronald J. Piva; Barry T. Wilson; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-86. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (7.37 MB)
DescriptionThe second full annual inventory of Illinois' forests, completed in 2010, reports more than 4.8 million acres of forest land and 97 tree species. Forest land is dominated by oak/hickory and elm/ash/cottonwood forest-type groups, which occupy 93 percent of total forest land area. The volume of growing stock on timberland totals 7.2 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock from 2001-2005 to 2006-2010 averages 215.1 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land-use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health. The included DVD contains 1) descriptive information on methods, statistics, and quality assurance of data collection, 2) a glossary of terms, 3) tables that summarize quality assurance, 4) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources, and 5) a Microsoft Access database that represents an archive of data used in this report, with tools that allow users to produce customized estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrocker, Susan J.; Nelson, Mark D.; Barnett, Charles J.; Butler, Brett J.; Domke, Grant M.; Hansen, Mark H.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Lister, Tonya W.; Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Piva, Ronald J.; Wilson, Barry T.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2013. Illinois' Forests 2010. Resour. Bull. NRS-86. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, Illinois, emerald ash borer
XML: View XML