Skip to Main Content
LANDIS PRO: a landscape model that predicts forest composition and structure changes at regional scalesAuthor(s): Wen J. Wang; Hong S. He; Jacob S. Fraser; Frank R. Thompson; Stephen R. Shifley; Martin A. Spetich
Source: Ecography. 37: 001-005.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.17 MB)
DescriptionLANDIS PRO predicts forest composition and structure changes incorporating species-, stand-, and landscape-scales processes at regional scales. Species-scale processes include tree growth, establishment, and mortality. Stand-scale processes contain density- and size-related resource competition that regulates self-thinning and seedling establishment. Landscapescale processes include seed dispersal and disturbances. LANDIS PRO is designed to be compatible with forest inventory data, thus extensive inventory data can be directly utilized to initialize and calibrate model parameters before predicting future forest changes. LANDIS PRO allows for exploring the effects of disturbances, management, climate change, and modeling the spread of invasive species. We demonstrate that LANDIS PRO successfully predicts forest successional trajectories and stand development patterns in the Central Hardwood Forest region in U.S.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Wen J.; He, Hong S.; Fraser, Jacob S.; Thompson, Frank R.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Spetich, Martin A. 2014. LANDIS PRO: a landscape model that predicts forest composition and structure changes at regional scales. Ecography 37: 001–005
- A large-scale forest landscape model incorporating multi-scale processes and utilizing forest inventory data
- A framework for evaluating forest landscape model predictions using empirical data and knowledge
- Landscape Builder: software for the creation of initial landscapes for LANDIS from FIA data
XML: View XML