Skip to Main Content
Sampling surface and subsurface particle-size distributions in wadable gravel-and cobble-bed streams for analyses in sediment transport, hydraulics, and streambed monitoringAuthor(s): Kristin Bunte; Steven R. Abt
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-74. Fort Collins,CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 428 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (9.68 MB)
DescriptionThis document provides guidance for sampling surface and subsurface sediment from wadable gravel-and cobble-bed streams. After a short introduction to streams types and classifications in gravel-bed rivers, the document explains the field and laboratory measurement of particle sizes and the statistical analysis of particle-size distributions. Analysis of particle parameters, including shape, density, and bulk density are also discussed. The document describes the spatial variability of bed-material particle sizes as well as the horizontal and vertical structure of particle deposits. The discussion of sampling procedures and equipment helps the user to make appropriate selections that support the sampling objective. Sample-size estimates may be obtained from empirical data or computed from statistical relationships between sample size and accuracy. The document explains a variety of methods, their usage and prerequisites. A detailed discussion of sampling schemes guides the user to select appropriate spatial sampling patterns necessary to produce representative samples.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBunte, Kristin; Abt, Steven R. 2001. Sampling surface and subsurface particle-size distributions in wadable gravel-and cobble-bed streams for analyses in sediment transport, hydraulics, and streambed monitoring. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-74. Fort Collins,CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 428 p.
KeywordsParticle-size analysis, spatial variability of bed-material size, sampling procedures, sampling equipment, sample size, spatial sampling schemes
- Particle size variations between bed load and bed material in natural gravel bed channels
- Surface particle sizes on armoured gravel streambeds: Effects of supply and hydraulics
- A comparison of coarse bedload transport measured with bedload traps and Helley Smith samplers
XML: View XML