Skip to Main Content
Special Forest Products on the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests: a research-based approach to managementAuthor(s): Marla R. Emery; Clare Ginger
Source: Gen. Tech Rep. NRS-131. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 51 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.93 MB)
DescriptionSpecial forest products (SFPs) are gathered from more than 200 vascular and fungal species on the Green Mountain National Forest (GMNF) and Finger Lakes National Forest (FLNF). This report documents those SFPs and proposes an approach to managing them in the context of legislation directing the U.S. Forest Service to institute a program of active SFP management. Based on the literature and primary research conducted on and around the GMNF and FLNF, we offer a system for classifying SFPs according to the likely sustainability of harvesting practices and present a suite of possible management strategies for each category. The report also includes suggestions for development of sustainable harvest guidelines, design of permit programs and fees, and opportunities for collaborative management. These suggestions incorporate insights from 40 individuals interviewed for the research. We dedicate a section to discussing results in terms of five key provisions of the U.S. Forest Service rule pending at the time of press. Objectives of the approach recommended here include effectively allocating scarce management resources, fostering voluntary compliance, and broadening the benefits and beneficiaries of forest management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEmery, Marla R.; Ginger, Clare. 2014. Special Forest Products on the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests: a research-based approach to management. Gen. Tech Rep. NRS-131. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 51 p.
Keywordsspecial forest products, inventory and monitoring, permits and fees, commodity chains, social and cultural values
- Special forest products in context: gatherers and gathering in the Eastern United States
- A U.S. Forest Service special forest products appraisal system: background, methods, and assessment.
- Ecosystem services as a framework for forest stewardship: Deschutes National Forest overview
XML: View XML