Skip to Main Content
User's guide to SILVAHAuthor(s): Peter D. Knopp; Susan L. Stout
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-128. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 122 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.87 MB)
DescriptionThis user's guide for the SILVAH computer program, version 6.2, supersedes the 1992 user's guide (Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-162). Designed for stand-alone Windows-based personal computers, SILVAH recommends a silvicultural prescription for a forest stand based on a summary and analysis of field inventory data. The program also includes a simulator that can be used to project stand growth and development, estimating yields from either prescribed or user-defined treatments. The software is distributed with an online help system and this printed user's manual. The computer program described in this publication is available on the Internet at http://nrs.fs.fed.us/tools/silvah.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKnopp, Peter D.; Stout, Susan L. 2014. User's guide to SILVAH. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-128. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 122 p.
Keywordssilvicultural prescriptions, management guides, regeneration, Allegheny hardwoods, northern hardwoods, mixed oak forest type, decision support system, software
- Prescribing regeneration treatments for mixed-oak forests in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Computerized algorithms for partial cuts
- ALOG user's manual: A Guide to using the spreadsheet-based Artificial Log Generator
XML: View XML