Skip to Main Content
Silvicultural guide for northern hardwoods in the northeastAuthor(s): William B. Leak; Mariko Yamasaki; Robbo Holleran
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-132. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 46 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (3.14 MB)
DescriptionThis revision of the 1987 silvicultural guide includes updated and expanded silvicultural information on northern hardwoods as well as additional information on wildlife habitat and the management of mixed-wood and northern hardwood-oak stands. The prescription methodology is simpler and more field-oriented. This guide also includes an appendix of familiar tables and charts useful to practicing field foresters. Northern hardwood forest types can be managed as even- or unevenaged stands using a variety of silvicultural practices. In planning these practices, there are many factors to consider including access, species composition, desired regeneration, wildlife habitat needs and environmental concerns. The aim of this document is to provide guidelines to assist the manager in choosing the right methods to meet the landowner objectives consistent with stand conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeak, William B.; Yamasaki, Mariko; Holleran, Robbo. 2014. Silvicultural guide for northern hardwoods in the northeast. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-132. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 46 p.
Keywordsnorthern hardwoods, silviculture/wildlife prescriptions, even-age management, uneven-age management, forest management, beech-birch-maple
- White pine silviculture for timber and wildlife habitat in New England
- A silvicultural guide for northern hardwoods in the northeast
- Influence of selection systems and shelterwood methods on understory plant communities of longleaf pine forests in flatwoods and uplands
XML: View XML