Skip to Main Content
Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of southern pine waste wood to remove metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA) treatmentAuthor(s): Chung-Yun Hse; Todd F. Shupe; Bin Yu
Source: Holzforschung 67(3): 285-290
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (192.37 KB)
DescriptionRecovery of metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood particles was investigated by extraction in a microwave reactor with binary combinations of acetic acid (AA), oxalic acid (OxA), and phosphoric acid (PhA). Use of OxA was not successful, as insoluble copper oxalate complexes impeded copper removal. The combination of OxA and AA also had adverse effects on copper extraction. In contrast, the combination of AA and PhA enhanced the chromium recovery rate. The highest recovery rate of metals could be achieved with a mixture of 2.75 % PhA and 0.5 % AA at 130 ° C for 10 min in the microwave oven. The total recovery rate approached 100 % for arsenic, 96.7 % for chromium, and 98.6 % for copper in a one-step process.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHse, Chung-Yun; Shupe, Todd F.; and Yu, Bin. 2013. Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of southern pine waste wood to remove metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA) treatment. Holzforschung. 67(3): 285-290.
Keywordsbinary acid solution, CCA-treated wood, microwave extraction
- Microwave-assisted organic acids extraction of chromate copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine
- Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood
- New Approach to Remove Metals from Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA)-Treated Wood
XML: View XML