Skip to Main Content
Microwave-assisted liquefaction of wood with polyhydric alcohols and its application in preparation of polyurethane (PU) foamsAuthor(s): Hui Pan; Zhifeng Zheng; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 70(4): 461-470
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (449.41 KB)
DescriptionMicrowave radiation was used as the heating source in southern pine wood liquefaction with PEG/ glycerin binary solvent. It was found that microwave heating was more efficient than conventional oil bath heating for wood liquefaction. The wood residue content of the H2SO4 catalyzed liquefied wood dropped to zero within 5 min with microwave heating. The resulting liquefied wood polyols have suitable hydroxyl values for the preparation of rigid PU foams. Both the compressive strength and apparent modulus of the liquefied-wood-based PU foams increased as the isocyanate index increased from 80 to 120. The foams from H3PO4 catalyzed polyols had lower densities than those from H2SO4 and the petroleum-based controls. They also showed lower strength and modulus than those from H2SO4. Liquefied-wood-based PU foams generally have lower compressive strength and apparent modulus than the petroleumbased controls. However, they showed better restorability from deformation than the petroleum-based controls.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPan, Hui; Zheng, Zhifeng; and Hse, Chung-Yun. 2012. Microwave-assisted liquefaction of wood with polyhydric alcohols and its application in preparation of polyurethane (PU) foams. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products, 70(4): 461-470.
- Microwave-assisted liquefaction of wood with polyhydric alcohols and its application in preparation of polyurethane (PU) foams
- Bio-based rigid polyurethane foam from liquefied products of wood in the presence of polyhydric alcohols
- Polyols from microwave liquefied bagasse and its application to rigid polyurethane foam
XML: View XML