Skip to Main Content
Structural Performance of the Second Oldest Glued-Laminated Structure in the United StatesAuthor(s): Douglas R. Rammer; Jorge de Melo Moura; Robert J. Ross
Source: In: Proceedings of the Structures Congress 2014, Boston, Massachusetts, April 3-5, 2014. Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE, 2014; pp. 1233-1243.
Publication Series: Full Proceedings
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (775.04 KB)
DescriptionThe second glued-laminated structure built in the United States was constructed at the USDA Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) in 1934 to demonstrate the performance of wooden arch buildings. After 75 years of use the structure was decommissioned in 2010. Shortly after construction, researchers structurally evaluated the glued-laminated arch structure for uniform loading on the center arch. This structural system evaluation was added to the existing laboratory work on glued-laminated arches to develop the foundation on which the current glued-laminated arch design criteria is based. After 75 years of service and decommisioning, recovered arches were tested in the laboratory to evaluate the loss of structural performance. Loss of structural performance was evaluated by comparing original and current deformation. Based on a preliminary visual and structural assessment, the degradation of structural performance was minimal in the arches, except for two arch that were affected by the building fire.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRammer, Douglas R.; Moura, Jorge de Melo; Ross, Robert J. 2014. Structural Performance of the Second Oldest Glued-Laminated Structure in the United States. In: Proceedings of the Structures Congress 2014, Boston, Massachusetts, April 3-5, 2014. Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE, 2014; pp. 1233-1243.
KeywordsGlued-laminated, arch, historical, structural evaluation, ultrasound
- Structural Evaluation of the Second Oldest Glued-Laminated Structure in the United States
- Lateral testing of glued laminated timber tudor arch
- Smart timber bridge on geosynthetic reinforced soil (GRS) abutments
XML: View XML