Skip to Main Content
Recovery history of greenback cutthroat trout: population characteristics, hatchery involvement, and bibliography, version 1.0Author(s): Michael K. Young; Amy L. Harig; Bruce Rosenlund; Chris Kennedy
Source: RMRS-GTR-88. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 25 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (914.0 KB)
DescriptionThe greenback cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki stomias) is native to the mountain and foothill waters of the South Platte and Arkansas river basins in Colorado. This taxon declined rapidly beginning near the turn of the century and was listed under the Endangered Species Act in 1973. We assembled all available information from a variety of sources to document recovery efforts from 1957 to 1999. For each greenback cutthroat trout population, we noted (1) the characteristics of recovery waters and dates of population discovery or introduction; (2) fish abundance estimates; (3) analyses of genetic purity; (4) salmonid fauna, removal efforts, and reinvasions; and (5) dates, sources, and numbers of fish used to establish populations. For each hatchery used to assist recovery, we noted (1) sources and numbers of fish delivered to them; (2) sources, sex ratios, and production of fish used to create particular year classes; and (3) dates, numbers, and sizes of hatchery fish shipped to establish wild populations or supplement other hatchery stocks.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoung, Michael K.; Harig, Amy L.; Rosenlund, Bruce; Kennedy, Chris. 2002. Recovery history of greenback cutthroat trout: population characteristics, hatchery involvement, and bibliography, version 1.0.. RMRS-GTR-88. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 25 p.
Keywordsthreatened species, greenback cutthroat trout, Oncorhynchus clarki stomias, recovery
- Conservation status of Colorado River cutthroat trout
- Greenback cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii stomias): A technical conservation assessment
- Influence of maximum water temperature on occurrence of Lahontan cutthroat trout within streams
XML: View XML