Skip to Main Content
Ohio's Forests 2011Author(s): Richard H Widmann; Cotton K. Randall; Brett J. Butler; Grant M. Domke; Douglas M. Griffith; Cassandra M. Kurtz; W. Keith Moser; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Rachel Riemann; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 68 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (15.54 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the second full cycle of annual inventories, 2007-2011, of Ohio's forests by the Forest Inventory and Analysis unit of the Northern Research Station in cooperation with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry. Since 2006, forest land increased by 2.1 percent and currently totals 8.1 million acres. Net volume of live trees on forest land increased by 7 percent totaling 15.9 billion cubic feet. Most stands are dominated by large trees, 66 percent are in sawtimber-size stands, although most stands are less than fully stocked with growing-stock trees. Annual growth outpaced removals by a ratio of 2.2:1. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land-use change, carbon, and forest health. The included DVD contains 1) descriptive information on methods, statistics, and quality assurance of data collection, 2) a glossary of terms, 3) tables that summarize quality assurance, 4) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources, and 5) a Microsoft Access database that represents an archive of data used in this report, with tools that allow users to produce customized estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWidmann, Richard H; Randall, Cotton K.; Butler, Brett J.; Domke, Grant M.; Griffith, Douglas M.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Moser, W. Keith; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Riemann, Rachel; Woodall, Christopher W. 2014. Ohio's Forests 2011. Resour. Bull. NRS-90. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 68 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, Illinois, emerald ash borer
XML: View XML