Skip to Main Content
Recovery of central Appalachian forested watershedAuthor(s): Mary Beth Adams; James N. Kochendenfer [sic]
Source: In: Swank, Wayne T.; Webster, Jackson R., comps., eds. Long-term response of a forest watershed ecosystem. Clearcutting in the southern Appalachian. Oxford University Press: 194-212.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (21.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Fernow Experimental Forest (FEF) was established to conduct research in forest and watershed management in the central Appalachians. The 1868-ha FEF, located south of Parsons, West Virginia, is administered by the Northern Research Station of the USDA Forest Service and provides a valuable point of comparison with the Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory (CHL), located in the southern Appalachians. This chapter summarizes responses to clearcutting on four watersheds at FEF and compares the results to those from clearcutting on CHL Watershed & (WS 7).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Mary Beth; Kochendenfer [sic], James N. 2014. Recovery of central Appalachian forested watershed. In: Swank, Wayne T.; Webster, Jackson R., comps., eds. Long-term response of a forest watershed ecosystem. Clearcutting in the southern Appalachian. Oxford University Press: 194-212.
- Inorganic nitrogen retention by watersheds at Fernow Experimental Forest and Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory
- Comparisons with results from the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest in the Northern Appalachians
- Twenty-five-year response of the herbaceous layer of a temperate hardwood forest to elevated nitrogen deposition
XML: View XML