Skip to Main Content
Adding uncertainty to forest inventory plot locations: effects on analyses using geospatial dataAuthor(s): Alexia A. Sabor; Volker C. Radeloff; Ronald E. McRoberts; Murray Clayton; Susan I. Stewart
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37(11): 2313-2325.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (160.89 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service alters plot locations before releasing data to the public to ensure landowner confidentiality and sample integrity, but using data with altered plot locations in conjunction with other spatially explicit data layers produces analytical results with unknown amounts of error. We calculated the potential error from using altered location data in combination with other data layers that varied in mean map unit size. The incidence of errors associated with the use of altered plot locations exhibited a strong inverse relationship to the mean map unit size of the other data sets used in the analyses.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSabor, Alexia A.; Radeloff, Volker C.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Clayton, Murray; Stewart, Susan I. 2007. Adding uncertainty to forest inventory plot locations: effects on analyses using geospatial data. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37(11): 2313-2325.
- Resolution dependence in an area-based approach to forest inventory with airborne laser scanning
- Estimating number and size of forest patches from FIA plot data
- Monitoring stand structure in mature coastal Douglas-fir forests: effect of plot size.
XML: View XML