Skip to Main Content
Product costing program for wood component manufacturersAuthor(s): Adrienn Andersch; Urs Buehlmann; Jeff Palmer; Janice K Wiedenbeck; Steve Lawser
Source: Forest Products Journal. 63(7-8): 247-256.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (691.22 KB)
DescriptionAccurate and timely product costing information is critically important for companies in planning the optimal utilization of company resources. While an overestimation of product costs can lead to loss of potential business and market share, underestimation of product costs can result in financial losses to the company. This article introduces a product costing program called WoodCite that was specifically developed for small and medium-sized hardwood dimension and components manufacturers. WoodCite is a Microsoft Access application that allows companies to determine product costs and to create competitive bids based on their company and product information. The program uses a regression model to estimate the overhead cost of a product based on historical cost information provided by the user. WoodCite was developed with input from members of the Wood Components Manufacturers Association. The application is available for free at Virginia Tech's Wood Products Web site (http://woodproducts.sbio.vt.edu/woodcite).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAndersch, Adrienn; Buehlmann, Urs; Palmer, Jeff; Wiedenbeck, Janice K; Lawser, Steve. 2013. Product costing program for wood component manufacturers. Forest Products Journal. 63(7-8): 247-256.
- Product costing guide for wood dimension and component manufacturers
- Product costing practices in the North American hardwood component industry
- Cultivating connections in 2012 -- web strategies used by forest products businesses in the southern U.S.
XML: View XML