Skip to Main Content
Cultural impacts to tribes from climate change influences on forestsAuthor(s): Garrit Voggesser; Kathy Lynn; John Daigle; Frank K. Lake; Darren Ranco
Source: Climatic Change. 120: 615-626
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (310.75 KB)
DescriptionClimate change related impacts, such as increased frequency and intensity of wildfires, higher temperatures, extreme changes to ecosystem processes, forest conversion and habitat degradation are threatening tribal access to valued resources. Climate change is and will affect the quantity and quality of resources tribes depend upon to perpetuate their cultures and livelihoods. Climate impacts on forests are expected to directly affect culturally important fungi, plant and animal species, in turn affecting tribal sovereignty, culture, and economy. This article examines the climate impacts on forests and the resulting effects on tribal cultures and resources. To understand potential adaptive strategies to climate change, the article also explores traditional ecological knowledge and historical tribal adaptive approaches in resource management, and contemporary examples of research and tribal practices related to forestry, invasive species, traditional use of fire and tribal-federal coordination on resource management projects. The article concludes by summarizing tribal adaptive strategies to climate change and considerations for strengthening the federal-tribal relationship to address climate change impacts to forests and tribal valued resources.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVoggesser, Garrit; Lynn, Kathy; Daigle, John; Lake, Frank K.; Ranco, Darren. 2013. Cultural impacts to tribes from climate change influences on forests. Climatic Change. 120: 615-626.
Keywordstraditional foods, climate change, climate change adaptation strategies, tribal culture
- The impacts of climate change on tribal traditional foods
- Indigenous experiences in the U.S. with climate change and environmental stewardship in the Anthropocene
- Fire and tribal cultural resources
XML: View XML