Skip to Main Content
Properties of wood-plastic composites (WPCs) reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flourAuthor(s): Yao Chen; Nicole M. Stark; Mandla A. Tshabalala; Jianmin Gao; Yongming Fan
Source: Holzforschung 2014; 8 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (1.17 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Wood Flour Extraction Improves Moisture Performance of Wood-Plastic Composites
DescriptionThe water sorption and mechanical properties of wood-plastic composites (WPCs) made of extracted and delignified wood flour (WF) has been investigated. WF was prepared by extraction with the solvent systems toluene/ethanol (TE), acetone/water (AW), and hot water (HW), and its delignification was conducted by means of sodium chlorite/acetic acid (AA) solution. A 2 4 full-factorial experimental design was employed to determine the effects of treatments and treatment combinations. WPCs were prepared with high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and treated WF was prepared by means of extrusion followed by injection molding, and the water absorption characteristics and mechanical properties of the products were evaluated. WPCs produced with extracted WF had lower water absorption rates and better mechanical properties than those made of untreated WF. WPCs containing delignified WF had higher water absorption rates and improved mechanical performance compared with those made of untreated WF.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Yao; Stark, Nicole M.; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Gao, Jianmin; Fan, Yongming. 2014. Properties of wood-plastic composites (WPCs) reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flour. Holzforschung 2014; 8 p.
Keywordsdelignification, diffusion, extractives, MOE, moisture performance, MOR, wood flour, wood-plastic composites (WPCs)
- Moisture Performance of wood-plastic composites reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flour
- Weathering characteristics of wood plastic composites reinforced with extracted or delignified wood flour
- Decay resistance of wood-plastic composites reinforced with extracted or delignified wood flour
XML: View XML