Skip to Main Content
Ohio's timber harvest revealed in stumpsAuthor(s): Kenneth L. Quigley
Source: Forest survey release no. 18. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Central States Forest Experiment Station. 12 p.
Publication Series: Forest Survey Release
Station: Central States Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (6.2 MB)
DescriptionTimber is an important resource in Ohio, and cutting records are an essential part of a forest resource appraisal. However, finding out just how much timber is cut in the State during any one year is a big job. Occasionally in the past, wood-using industries have been surveyed to determine the volume cut by species and product, but the variety of industries, the large number of small operations (including individual farmers) and lack of systematic records at small mills, makes an industry production survey difficult and costly. Production varies from year to year, so an industry survey for a particular year may not be representative. Moreover, an industry survey does not give direct information on size of timber cut, acreage cutover, source of the timber, or kind of stand from which timber came. These difficulties have prompted consideration of other ways to obtain cutting information. Recently a new method for determining timber cut--measuring stumps on logged areas--has been tried. This method provides some hitherto unavailable information and, when combined with inventory plot work, costs less than the older system.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationQuigley, Kenneth L. 1955. Ohio's timber harvest revealed in stumps. Forest survey release no. 18. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Central States Forest Experiment Station. 12 p.
- Estimating volume from stump measurements
- Primary wood-product industries of Kentucky - 1969
- Timber resource statistics for midsouth counties, 1971
XML: View XML