Skip to Main Content
International trade of U.S. hardwood lumber and logs, 1990-2013Author(s): William G. Luppold; Matthew S. Bumgardner
Source: Hardwood Market Report. 92(27):1,5,7,9,11-15.
Publication Series: Magazines or Trade Publications
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (546.07 KB)
Related Research Highlights
United States Maintains Positive Trade Balances for Hardwood Logs and Lumber
DescriptionUnited States (U.S.) hardwood log and lumber exports surged in the early- and mid-1970s in response to the adoption of floating exchange rates. However, assessing these changes in international trade became difficult in the 1980s due to increased underreporting of hardwood lumber and log shipments between the U.S. and Canada. By 1990, these data problems were rectified, allowing 1990 to be the earliest starting point for any analysis of hardwood lumber or log trade. The complements to hardwood lumber and log exports are hardwood imports for domestic consumption. U.S. hardwood lumber and log imports and exports have fluctuated since 1990. The source and destination countries have changed, as has the balance of trade between exports and imports of these products.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Bumgardner, Matthew S. 2014. International trade of U.S. hardwood lumber and logs, 1990-2013. Hardwood Market Report. 92(27):1,5,7,9,11-15.
- Changes in the international trade balance of U.S. hardwood products from 1990 to 2013
- Factors influencing changes in U.S. hardwood log and lumber exports from 1990 to 2011. BioResources
- Changes in U.S. hardwood lumber exports, 1990 to 2008
XML: View XML