Skip to Main Content
Heat treatment of Firewood for Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire): Case StudiesAuthor(s): Xiping Wang; Richard D. Bergman; Brian K. Brashaw; Scott W. Myers
Source: J. For. Volume 112, Number 4, 2014; pp. 361–370.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (634.88 KB)
DescriptionThe movement of firewood within emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire) (EAB)-infested states and into adjoining areas has been a contributor to its spread throughout the United States and Canada. In an effort to prevent further human-aided spread of EAB and to facilitate interstate commerce, the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and cooperating states in the EAB quarantine have established a heat treatment process to be used as a mitigating treatment to allow movement of firewood from EAB quarantine areas. Firewood producers have since been faced with challenges implementing heat treatment processes and meeting the treatment standard for firewood. In this article, we present four case studies, conducted at firewood heat treatment facilities, with the aim of addressing these challenges. Different heat treating strategies were used in each of these facilities to meet the particular needs of operation. A step-by-step operating procedure was developed for heat treatment operation and temperature monitoring of both kiln and firewood samples during the heating process.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Xiping; Bergman, Richard D.; Brashaw, Brian K.; Myers, Scott W. 2014. Heat treatment of Firewood for Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire): Case Studies. J. For. Volume 112, Number 4, 2014; pp. 361–370.
Keywordsemerald ash borer, phytosanitary treatment, kiln, quarantine, operating procedure, temperature monitoring
- Heat treatment of firewood : meeting the phytosanitary requirements
- Economic assessment of potential emerald ash borer damage in urban areas in the United States
- Developing attractants and trapping techniques for the emerald ash borer
XML: View XML