Skip to Main Content
Estimating forest characteristics using NAIP imagery and ArcObjectsAuthor(s): John S Hogland; Nathaniel M. Anderson; Woodam Chung; Lucas Wells
Source: In: Proceedings of the 2014 ESRI Users Conference; July 14-18, 2014, San Diego, CA. Redlands, CA: Environmental Systems Research Institute. Online: http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc14/papers/155_181.pdf.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionDetailed, accurate, efficient, and inexpensive methods of estimating basal area, trees, and aboveground biomass per acre across broad extents are needed to effectively manage forests. In this study we present such a methodology using readily available National Agriculture Imagery Program imagery, Forest Inventory Analysis samples, a two stage classification and estimation approach, .Net numeric libraries, Spatial Analyst, Function Datasets, and ArcObjects.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHogland, John S; Anderson, Nathaniel M.; Chung, Woodam; Wells, Lucas. 2014. Estimating forest characteristics using NAIP imagery and ArcObjects. In: Proceedings of the 2014 ESRI Users Conference; July 14-18, 2014, San Diego, CA. Redlands, CA: Environmental Systems Research Institute. Online: http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc14/papers/155_181.pdf.
KeywordsNational Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP), forest inventory, estimation
- Biomass accumulation rates of Amazonian secondary forest and biomass of old-growth forests from Landsat time series and the Geoscience Laser Altimeter System
- Uncertainty issues in forest monitoring: All you wanted to know about uncertainties and never dared to ask
- A Model-Based Approach to Inventory Stratification
XML: View XML