Skip to Main Content
ecoSmart landscapes: a versatile SaaS platform for green infrastructure applications in urban environmentsAuthor(s): Greg McPherson; Qingfu Xiao; Joe Purohit; Mark Dietenberger; Charles (C.R.) Boardman; Jim Simpson; Paula Peper
Source: 7th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software. San Diego, CA: International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs): 1017-1024
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (406.5 KB)
DescriptionThe urban environment offers significant opportunities to improve sustainability and optimize water resources. Historically, research and software applications have been focused on the built environment (buildings). Cost-effective, practical tools that can assess the impact of different landscape configurations and their interactions with buildings have not been widely deployed. ecoSmart Landscapes (eSL) is a unique SaaS-based platform that helps to bridge this gap. It incorporates modelling and planning tools for the integrated assessment of carbon, water, energy, and fire impacts of landscapes at the residential parcel scale. Analytical and empirical models run concurrently and simulate effects of trees on building energy use, carbon sequestration, rainfall interception and threat posed by burning trees. Effects of shrubs, grass-covered rain gardens, engineered soils and cisterns on surface runoff are simulated as well. eSL’s modularity and configurability make it highly customizable and scalable to meet the needs of a wide range of users, from the general public to landscape architects, green industry professionals, and regional planners. The project is a collaborative effort that brings together 1) over 20 years of empirical urban forestry and urban-wildland interface fire research, 2) empirically tested residential scale hydrologic models, and 3) software developed by EcoLayers for integrated, adaptive, and collaborative management of water, land, and environment.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcPherson, E.G.; Xiao, Q.; Purohit, J.; Dietenberger, M.; Boardman, C.R., Simpson, J.; Peper, P. 2014. ecoSmart landscapes: a versatile SaaS platform for green infrastructure applications in urban environments. In: Ames, D.P., Quinn, N.W.T., Rizzoli, A.E., eds. 7th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software. San Diego, CA: International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs): 1017-1024.
Keywordsecosystem services, low impact development, sustainability, urban forestry
- Carbon Storage and Flux in Urban Residential Greenspace
- LANDISVIEW 2.0: An upgraded visualization and analytical tool for landscape modeling
- Incorporating historical ecosystem diversity into conservation planning efforts in grass and shrub ecosystems
XML: View XML