Skip to Main Content
First report of Verticillium wilt caused by Verticillium nonalfalfae on tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) in OhioAuthor(s): J. Rebbeck; M.A. Malone; D.P.G. Short; M.T. Kasson; E.S. O'Neal; D.D. Davis
Source: Plant Disease. 97(7).
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (37.98 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Biocontrol Agent for the Invasive Ailanthus Tree To Be Tested
Possible Biocontrol Agent for the Invasive Ailanthus Tree Is Tested
DescriptionVerticillium wilt of the highly invasive tree-of-heaven [Ailanthus altissima (Mill.) Swingle], caused by Verticillium nonalfalfae Interbitzin et al. (1), formerly classified as V. albo-atrum Reinke and Berthold, has been reported in the United States from two states: Pennsylvania (2) and Virginia (3). Infected A. altissima in both states exhibited similar symptoms of wilt, premature defoliation, terminal dieback, yellow vascular discoloration, and mortality. In June 2012, the second author observed dead and dying A. altissima trees in southern Ohio (Pike County) that exhibited symptoms similar to those on diseased A. altissima trees in Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRebbeck, J.; Malone, M.A.; Short, D.P.G.; Kasson, M.T.; O'Neal, E.S.; Davis, D.D. 2013. First report of Verticillium wilt caused by Verticillium nonalfalfae on tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) in Ohio. Plant Disease. 97(7).
- Potential for using Verticillium albo-atrum as a biocontrol agent for tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima)
- Foliage feeding tests of Eucryptorrhynchus brandti (Harold) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), a potential biological control agent of the tree-of-heaven, Ailanthus altissima
- Ailanthus, tree-of-heaven update, a northeast regional biological control project
XML: View XML