Skip to Main Content
Map of distribution of six forest ownership types in the conterminous United StatesAuthor(s): Jaketon H. Hewes; Brett J. Butler; Greg C. Liknes; Mark D. Nelson; Stephanie A. Snyder
Source: Res. Map NRS-6. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. [Scale 1: 10,000,000, 1: 34,000,000.]
Publication Series: Research Map (RMAP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (7.61 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Forest Ownership Map of the Conterminous United States
DescriptionThis map depicts the spatial distribution of ownership types across forest land in the conterminous United States circa 2009. The distribution is derived, in part, from Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data that are collected at a sample intensity of approximately one plot per 2400 ha across the United States (U.S. Forest Service 2012). Ownership categories were mapped to the landscape using Thiessen polygons, and a forest/nonforest mask was applied to limit ownership portrayal to forested areas (Butler et al. 2014). Inset maps depict states by the percentage of forest land held by owner type indicated. States that appear darker do not necessarily have more forested land of a particular type than other states, but rather have a greater percentage of their forested land in a given ownership type.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHewes, Jaketon H.; Butler, Brett J.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. Map of distribution of six forest ownership types in the conterminous United States. [Scale 1: 10,000,000, 1: 34,000,000.] Res. Map NRS-6. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station.
- Map of forest ownership in the conterminous United States. [Scale 1:7,500,000].
- Distribution of forest ownerships across the conterminous United States, 2017
- A comparison of techniques for generating forest ownership spatial products
XML: View XML