Boreal blending: timber and moose in Alaska's interior.Author(s): Sally Duncan
Source: Science Findings. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. December (40):1-5
Publication Series: Science Findings
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (267.0 KB)
DescriptionOnly a small boby of research addresses the impacts of timber harvesting in the boreal forest of Alaska. The two projects described here began in 1970 and 1980 to develop more reliable methods of regenerating white sprucethe main commercial species in interior Alaskafrom seed, and quantifying vegetation and soil responses.
A "by-product" of timber harvest is increased moose browse and cover provided by deciduous saplings (birch, popular, and aspen) and brush species such as willow. The importance of moose in the economy of interior Alaska guarantees a major role in the values behind forest management decisions.
Recent reevaluations of both projects has significant implications for the management of white spruce but also extend to other present-day forest management issues, including aesthetics, biodiversity, wildlife management, and coarse woody debris budgets.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDuncan, Sally. 2001. Boreal blending: timber and moose in Alaska''s interior. Science Findings. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. December (40):1-5
- Modelling moose-forest interactions under different predation scenarios at Isle Royale National Park, USA
- Browse biomass removal and nutritional condition of Alaska moose Alces alces
- Crafting a competitive edge: white spruce regeneration in Alaska.
XML: View XML