Skip to Main Content
A practical approach for translating climate change adaptation principles into forest management actionsAuthor(s): Maria K. Janowiak; Christopher W. Swanston; Linda M. Nagel; Leslie A. Brandt; Patricia R. Butler; Stephen D. Handler; P. Danielle Shannon; Louis R. Iverson; Stephen N. Matthews; Anantha Prasad; Matthew P. Peters
Source: Journal of Forestry. 112(5): 424-433.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (829.61 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Adaptation Demonstrations Provide Real World Examples of Climate Change Response
DescriptionThere is an ever-growing body of literature on forest management strategies for climate change adaptation; however, few frameworks have been presented for integrating these strategies with the real-world challenges of forest management. We have developed a structured approach for translating broad adaptation concepts into specific management actions and silvicultural practices for forest adaptation, as well as an associated set of resources to assist managers in using this approach. A variety of public, private, nongovernmental, and tribal natural resource managers are using this approach to develop projects that implement a diversity of adaptation actions while also meeting manager-identified goals. We describe how managers can integrate climate change information into management planning and activities and provide examples of real-world forest management projects that identify actions to help forests adapt to changing conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJanowiak, Maria K.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Nagel, Linda M.; Brandt, Leslie A.; Butler, Patricia R.; Handler, Stephen D.; Shannon, P. Danielle; Iverson, Louis R.; Matthews, Stephen N.; Prasad, Anantha; Peters, Matthew P. 2014. A practical approach for translating climate change adaptation principles into forest management actions. Journal of Forestry. 112(5): 424-433.
Keywordsclimate change, adaptation, case study, forest management
- Climate Change Adaptation Strategies and Approaches for Outdoor Recreation
- Forest Management for Carbon Sequestration and Climate Adaptation
- Adaptation pathways: ecoregion and land ownership influences on climate adaptation decision-making in forest management
XML: View XML