Under the radar: advances in murrelet monitoring.Author(s): Sally Duncan
Source: Science Findings. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. November (39): 1-5
Publication Series: Science Findings
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (250.0 KB)
DescriptionFuture choices in managing federal and private forest lands in the Pacific Northwest, particularly for commodity production, are partly dependent on how the threatened marbled murrelet responds to the Northwest Forest Plan. Is the plan functioning for this elusive species, and are populations stabilized or increasing?
Because the murrelet forages at sea but nests on land in order forests, its condition is affected by many factors: its status at sea, its nesting habitat on land, and the link between the two. Several tools are available to monitor long-term population trends, and studies in nesting habitat have illuminated habitat requirements. The stage is set for correlating habitat trends with population trends.
But what is becoming increasingly clear is that ecosystem interactions in the murrelet's world are even more complicated than was previously understood.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDuncan, Sally. 2001. Under the radar: advances in murrelet monitoring. Science Findings. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. November (39): 1-5
- Northwest Forest Plan—the first 10 years (1994-2003): status and trends of populations and nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet.
- Inside their hidden world: Tracking the elusive marbled murrelet
- Regional population monitoring of the marbled murrelet: field and analytical methods.
XML: View XML